Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Recruiting News: Mitchell Watt Holds Off Cornell While Washington State Moves In


One clear leader for Mitchell Watt

By Josh Gershon
ArizonaVarsity.com (Rivals.com Network)
December 26, 2007

Starring for Goodyear Desert Edge's 14-2 squad is Mitchell Watt, one of the state of Arizona's top unsigned seniors. The 6-foot-8, 195-pound forward is averaging 12.7 points, 8.9 rebounds, 3.9 blocks, 2.9 assists and 1.5 steals per game.

Watt has already received one scholarship offer, but his impressive senior season could lead to more.

"Cornell is my main one right now," Watt said. "A lot of schools have come on late and are holding off until the end of basketball season when I can make some visits to campuses and make a good decision then."

Among the schools hoping that Watt doesn't make a decision soon are Washington State, Northwestern, Tulsa and University of Missouri-Kansas City.

However, there's one school that's a heavy favorite at this stage of Watt's recruitment.

"I really like Cornell," he said. "Cornell is my number one right now, especially since I took an official visit up there. I loved it there. I really like (Cornell's) potential. They have the potential to go to the NCAA tournament. They have really good young players and I really like the coaching staff."

Watt seemed to be a little surprised by what he saw when he took his visit to Cornell, especially the school's academic reputation.

"I've always had an idea of what I wanted to do, but when I went to Cornell, their school really intrigued me," Watt said. "I want to go to a good atmosphere that will help me academically. Cornell is an Ivy League school and they're known for their academics. You're expected to make a certain grade in your classes and I really like the atmosphere."

Despite Watt's high interest in Cornell, there's a school a little closer to home that has kept him from going ahead and pulling the trigger.

"I have definitely thought about (committing) and actually Washington State coming on late has made me hold off on that," he said. "They're not as academically prestigious as Cornell but playing in the Pac-10 is a dream of mine. They've made me hold off on it but I was seriously leaning towards Cornell."

Watt isn't ruling out a commitment to Cornell, but he might hold out until the spring to see who else offers.

"After the season I'll probably be making a couple of visits and Washington State might be one of them," he said. "I'm going to hold off and see if I'm going to make any visits."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this mitchell report- an ongoing saga

The Cornell Basketball Blog said...

This is indeed a recruiting war. And Mitchell Watt is a huge prize if we can land him.

Hopefully he will recognize that Cornell offers him by far the best education and the biggest opportunity to become an impact player on the basketball court in a growing program.