When scheduling the nonconference games each season, Cornell Head Coach, Steve Donahue attempts to get the Big Red into some in-season tournaments where his squad can simulate the grueling back-to-back, Friday-Saturday night scheduling environment of Ivy League play.
During 2009-2010, Cornell will get tested in a pair of such tournaments. During November, Cornell plays three games in three days as part of the Legends Classic. Later in December, the Big Red get a double-header in Madison Square Garden. Below are some of the recent in-season tournaments in which Cornell participated.
- 2001-2002- Richmond Invitational (Richmond, James Madison, also included VMI)
- 2004-2005- Marist Pepsi Classic (Marist, Northeastern, also included Birmingham Southern)
- 2005-2006- Coaches vs. Cancer Classic (Syracuse, St. Francis Pa., also included Bethune Cookman)
- 2006-2007- William & Mary Classic (William & Mary, VMI, also included Jacksonville State)
- 2008-2009- NIT Season Tip-Off (St. John's, Loyola (Md.), E. Michigan, Loyola IL, also included B.C.)
- 2009-2010- Legends Classic (UMass, Vermont, Drexel, Toledo) and Madison Square Garden Holiday Festival (Davidson, St. John's, Hofstra)