- Khaliq Gant '09 tweets, "glad that Cornell Basketball announced a new coach, hope we can keep the winning tradition! also hope he keeps app on board."
- SlopeMedia tweets, "Cornell has its Head Coach but still more jobs to fill. Big Red need some new assistants. Let's just hope App stays on staff."
- Brian Delaney of the Ithaca Journal adds via twitter, "Couple things I think are vital for smooth transition w/Cornell basketball: 1. Ivy experience; 2. No slow-it-down style; 3. keep Kevin App."
- In other news, The A.P. writes:
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes:
Two people familiar with the deal say Virginia Tech assistant Bill Courtney has been hired to replace Steve Donahue as Cornell's basketball coach.
They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity on Friday because Cornell has not yet made an announcement. A afternoon news conference is scheduled in Ithaca, N.Y.
The 39-year-old Courtney was with the Hokies for one season and spent eight years as Jim Larranaga's associate head coach at George Mason. George Mason reached the Final Four as an 11th seed in the 2006 NCAA tournament.
Donahue took the Boston College job two weeks ago after 10 seasons with the Big Red. He won three straight Ivy League titles and led the Big Red to the round of 16 in March.
Madison - Just a quick update before I get out and mow the back 40 to beat the rain.
Virginia Tech assistant Bill Courtney reportedly is to be named men's basketball coach at Cornell later Friday.
That means Wisconsin assistant Gary Close, one of at least three finalists for the job, should return to UW for the 2010-'11 season.
Close, a native of Mount Holly, N.J., joined the UW staff before the 2003-'04 season.
Courtney replaces Steve Donahue, who took over the job at Boston College after leading Cornell into the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament last month.
Cornell ousted UW in the second round of the tournament, 87-69.