With Ryan Wittman ('10) graduating, junior Max Groebe is one of several returning Big Red players looking to step up into a leadership role during 2010-2011. Below, some news and notes for Thursday with a heavy emphasis on alumni updates.
- Believe it or not, the Red-White scrimmage is just over a month away, scheduled for Saturday October 23. Typically, Cornell's Red-White game tips off immediately following a home football game. Not this year. The Big Red football team will be in Providence for a game at Brown.
- Jeff Aubry ('99) is averaging 10.0 points and 9.5 rebounds per game through 4 regular season games in the LNBP (premier league of Mexico) for the Halcones Rojos.
- John McCord ('97) (above) opens his season on October 9 with Strasbourg of the French premier league.
- Louis Dale ('10) (above front row, far left) with his professional club, BG Gottingen of Germany's premier league. The regular season for Dale commences on October 3. The exhibition schedule continues for Gottingen on September 18-19 with a two-game tournament including FC Bayern Munich, Perlas Vilnius Perlas Vilnius and host Brose.
- Also on October 3, Ryan Wittman ('10) and his Fulgor Libertas Forli team commence regular season play in the Italian second division.
- The Jersualem Post writes with respect to Maccabi Tel Aviv and Jeff Foote ('10), "Richard Hendrix was a useful player for Spain’s CB Granada last season, but the 23-yearold 2.03-meter forward lacks experience at the top level. The same also applies to Jeff Foote, a 2.14 m center, who signed his first professional contract with Maccabi and may still be loaned out by the time the season begins."
- Maccabi and Foote leave Israel on September 16th for pre-season training camps and tournaments in Russia and Poland. Participants in the first tournament, which will take place in Wrocław, Poland on September 19 – 20, include Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv, Rytas Vilna (the Lithuanian champions), Asseco Prokom Gdynia of Poland, and Turow of Poland. Prokom Gdynia was placed in the same Euroleague group as Maccabi this season (2010 – 2011).In the semi-final of the tournament on September 19th, Maccabi will face Turow; the following day the final and the game for third place will be held. On September 23rd Maccabi will fly to Russia to take part in the traditional tournament named for Kondrashin and Belov, in Saint Petersburg (September 25 – 26). Also participating are Euro power, CSKA Moscow, Efes Pilsen, and hosts Spartak St. Petersburg. Maccabi returns to Israel on September 27. In the Russian tournament, Maccabi could face one of two former players from last season, Stephane Lasme (St. Petersburg) and Andrew Wisniewski (Efes Pilsen). In the semi-final on September 25th, Maccabi will play CSKA Moscow; the final and the game for third place will take place the next day.
- Cody Toppert ('05) and his Plymouth Raiders club of the British Basketball League open their season on Friday against the Worthing Thunder.