Monday, October 18, 2010

Big Red Basketball: From Barton Hall in 1919 to Newman Arena in 1989

Above, the February 5, 1919 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun previews Cornell's "final contest in the Old Armory." The Sun headline notes, "League Season Opens February 15 with Game in New Armory." Cornell's last game in its Old Armory was on February 5, a 34-11 win over St. Lawrence.

Above, the February 15, 1919 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun previews Cornell first ever game in the "New Armory" (later referred to as the "New Drill Hall" and subsequently renamed Barton Hall).

Above, the February 17, 1919 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun recaps Cornell's 32-20 win over Columbia and the program's first ever game in the New Armory.

Above left, the January 17, 1940 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun previews the Big Red's evening home game against Columbia in the "Drill Hall" (previously referred to as the "New Armory") on the Cornell campus. The Big Red would prevail that night 40-33. Just days later, the January 23, 1940 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun announces that the Drill Hall will be renamed Barton Hall in honor of Colonel Frank A. Barton.

Barton Hall served as the home court for Cornell Basketball for 70 years, ending with opening of present day home, Newman Arena. The Big Red beat Army 96-70 on January 6, 1989 in the first game played in Newman Arena. The win started a six-game home win streak for the Big Red on their new home court.

No comments: