Minnesota Basketball Game Notes (PDF)
Minnesota vs. Cornell:
The Golden Gophers will try and get back into the win column as they play host to Cornell on Saturday, Dec. 4 at Williams Arena. The game is scheduled to tip at 7:00 p.m.
Minnesota and Cornell have met a total of five times in each school's history, with the Gophers claiming victories in all five.
The teams last met during the 2008-09 season. Minnesota overcame a 12-point half-time deficit in that game to beat Cornell 71-54 to give the Gophers an 8-0 start to the season.
Cornell comes in to the game with a record of 2-5 on the season. The Big Red are led by junior guard Chris Wroblewski, who is averaging a team-high 13.8 ppg. Junior Drew Ferry is also in double-figures at 10.0 ppg.
Wroblewski and senior Adam Wire both appeared in the 2008 matchup with the Gophers. Wroblewski played 33 minutes and finished with nine points while Wire played 30 minutes and contributed five points and eight rebounds.
About the Golden Gophers:
- Golden Gopher Head Coach Tubby Smith's all-time record stands at 456-185 (20th Season), while his record at Minnesota is 69-40 (Fourth Season).
- Ralph Sampson III & Trevor Mbakwe both collected a double-double on Nov. 12 against Wofford. It was the first time since 2005 that a pair of Gophers finished with a double-double in the same game (Jonathan Williams - 11 points, 10 rebounds; Vincent Grier - 15 points, 10 rebounds vs. Iowa)
- Mbakwe has a total of four double-doubles on the season: 18 pts & 11 rbs vs. Virginia on Nov. 29; 10 pts & 11 rbs vs. Siena on Nov. 15; 18 pts & 10 rbs vs. Western Kentucky on Nov. 18; 14 pts & 10 rbs vs. Wofford on Nov. 12.
- Junior guard Devoe Joseph made is 2010-11 debut against Virginia. He contributed 16 points and two assists in 24 minutes played.
- Senior Blake Hoffarber leads the team in scoring at 15.6 points per game and is also dishing out a team-high 4.9 assists per game.
- Mbakwe leads the team in rebounding at 9.3 rebounds a game to go along with 14.3 points per game. Mbakwe was named the Most Outstanding Player at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
- Junior Ralph Sampson III is third on the team in scoring at 11.4 points per game, leads the team with 2.4 blocks per game and is second in rebounding at 6.4 rebounds per game.
- The Gophers lead the Big Ten Conference is blocked shots through seven games. They have swatted 46 shots for an average of 6.57 bpg. Minnesota has led the conference in blocked shots the last two seasons.
About the Big Red:
- Head coach Bill Courtney is in his first season at Cornell.
- Cornell experienced one of its finest seasons in the history of the program last season. The Big Red finished with a school and Ivy League record 29 victories. They made it to the Sweet 16, losing to Kentucky, 45-62.
- Cornell comes into the game with a 2-5 record. The Big Red's last game was against No. 7 Syracuse.
- Cornell is led by junior guard Chris Wroblewski, who is averaging 13.8 ppg. He scored nine points against Minnesota in the Dec. 2008 matchup. Senior Adam Wire is the only other Cornell player to appear in that matchup. He tallied five points.
- The Gophers lead the all-time series 5-0.
- Minnesota won the last matchup 71-54 during the 2008-09 season. Prior to that, the schools hadn't met since a 84-54 Minnesota victory in the Pillsbury Classic on Dec. 30, 1975.
- The first meeting between the schools took place during the 1903-04 season, a 46-18 Gopher victory.
- The Gophers are 17-2-1 all-time against teams in the Ivy League
(1-0 vs. Brown; 2-1 vs. Columbia; 5-0 vs. Cornell; 3-1-1 vs. Dartmouth; 3-0 vs. Princeton; 3-0 vs. Yale)
- Tubby Smith is 1-0 against Cornell and a combined 3-0 against teams in the Ivy League.
(1-0 vs. Brown; 1-0 vs. Cornell; 1-0 vs. Penn)