Sunday, February 20, 2011

A First Visit to the Palestra

Cornell returns to Philadelphia to face Penn next Saturday. Above, the February 22, 1927 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun previews the Big Red's first ever game in Penn's "new Palestra." The February 23 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun recaps Cornell's 18-16 win over the Quakers. Penn's Palestra, which opened two months earlier on January 1, 1927, is the Ivy League's oldest gymnasium still in continuous use by its varsity basketball program. Cornell's former basketball home, Barton Hall, which still serves as a varsity athletics facility, namely for indoor track & field, is nearly a decade older than the Palestra. Barton Hall commenced hosting varsity basketball games at Cornell in 1919 and continued to do so through 1990 until the construction of Newman Arena.

No comments: