Get all the information you need about the Big Red's game on Sunday, November 20, 2011 (2 pm) vs. Boston University in Newman Arena with The Cornell Basketball Blog's Game Preview Center. Also, JOIN THE MESSAGE BOARD and discuss the game with your fellow fans. Below, news and notes for Friday...
- The Daily Princetonian previews the Tigers' next opponent, Buffalo and notes, "Buffalo visits Princeton on the back of consecutive wins to start the season, including a nine-point victory over the Tigers’ Ivy League rival Cornell. The Bulls went 20-14 last season but only mustered a 7-11 record on away or neutral territory. The upcoming game will be their first away from newly renovated Alumni Arena this year, as they look to continue their positive start. Bulls forward Javon McCrea will in all likelihood pose the biggest threat to the Tigers... The Tigers can expect McCrea to stretch them defensively in particular, with the dynamic big man burning Cornell’s defense for 19 points in his last outing. He also notched 10 rebounds and three blocks, suggesting his all-around play will have a significant role in the game... "
- Previewing St. Bonaventure's next game, USA Today writes, "A week ago, St. Bonaventure began the 2011-12 campaign with a convincing 79-58 win over the Cornell Big Red at home, but since then the team has been sitting idle and waiting for the next date on the schedule... Andrew Nicholson showed why he should be considered one of the better players in the Atlantic-10 Conference this season as he delivered a game-high 24 points in the win over Cornell in the season opener."
- The Binghamton Pipe Dream writes with respect to Cornell's win over Binghamton on Monday, "Coming off a 76-61 loss to Cornell University on Monday, Binghamton is scheduled to open its weekend against Fordham tonight in what will be, for both teams, a battle to break into the win column."
- The Binghamton Press-Bulletin writes, "The Binghamton University men's basketball team experienced a defensive letdown in Monday's loss to Cornell University, leading to a 76-61 loss... Cornell shredded the BU defense to the tune of 24 points in the paint."
- Game Recaps-Below are links to our game recap sections from each of Cornell's games this season.
- November 11, 2011 at St. Bonaventure L 58-79
- November 14, 2011 vs. Binghamton W 76-61
- November 16, 2011 at Buffalo L 59-68
- Cornell RPI Watch: The RPI (Rating Percentage Index) is a measure of strength of schedule and how a team does against that schedule. It does not consider the margin of victory, but only whether or not a team won and where the game was played (home/away/neutral court). The formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP). (See: CollegeRPI.com for a further explanation of the formula.) The RPI may be the most influential factor in NCAA Tournament seeding. Cornell's RPI rank as of November 18is No. 274 out of 344 total Division I teams. While neither the Ken Pomeroy or Jeff Sagarin rankings are used by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, the KenPom.com site ranks Cornell No. 144 in the nation, while the USA Today Sagarin rankings have Cornell at No. 194. Both sites are predominantly used by fans and the media.
- Here is a look at Ivy League results and upcoming games. A full Ivy composite schedule may viewed by clicking here.
Friday, November 11
Johnson & Wales 66 Brown 86 (Box Score - Recap)
Columbia 57 Connecticut 70[ESPNU] (Box Score - Recap)
Cornell 58 St. Bonaventure 79 (Box Score - Recap)
MIT 49 Harvard 76 (Box Score - Recap)
Dartmouth 56 Rutgers 62 (Box Score - Recap)
Penn 59 Maryland-Baltimore County 45 (Box Score - Recap)
Yale 73 Central Connecticut State 69 (Box Score - Recap)
Saturday, November 12
Wagner 73 Princeton 57 (Box Score - Recap)
Monday, November 14
Albany 77 Brown 68 (NIT Tip-Off-1st Round@Syracuse, N.Y.)[ESPN3] (Box Score - Recap)
Temple 73 Penn 67 OT (Box Score - Recap)
Furman 58 Columbia 62 (Box Score - Recap)
Binghamton 61 Cornell 76 (Box Score - Recap)
Tuesday, November 15
Harvard 73 Holy Cross 64 (Box Score - Recap)
Yale 62 Quinnipiac 68 [SNY] (Box Score - Recap)
Brown 52 Manhattan 54 NIT Tip Consolation@Syracuse, N.Y. [ESPN3] (Box Score - Recap)
Wednesday, November 16
Cornell 59 Buffalo 68 (Box Score - Recap)
Vermont 65 Dartmouth 53 (Box Score - Recap)
Princeton 58 North Carolina State 60 [ESPNU] (Box Score - Recap)
Thursday, November 17
Penn 78 Rider 72 OT (Box Score - Recap)
Lyndon State 37 Yale 101 (Box Score - Recap)
Saturday, November 19
Buffalo at Princeton, 12:30 pm
Hartford at Brown, 5 pm
American at Columbia, 7 pm
Bryant at Dartmouth, 7 pm
Robert Morris at Penn, 7 pm
Harvard at Loyola Marymount, 9:30 pm
Sunday, November 20
Boston University at Cornell, 2 pm