Get all the information you need about the Big Red's game on Sunday, November 20, 2011 (2 pm) vs. Boston University in Newman Arena with The Cornell Basketball Blog's Game Preview Center. Also, JOIN THE MESSAGE BOARD and discuss the game with your fellow fans. Below, news and notes for Sunday...
- Barry Leonard will interview Boston University head coach, Joe Jones at halftime of today's game. Jones, the former Columbia head coach, assisted Steve Donahue last season at Boston College.
- The Valley News writes, "The Plum Tip-off Tournament should get a lot of attention on the opening weekend of basketball season. The boys' round-robin tournament, set for Dec. 9-10, will include Highlands, Valley, Shaler and Plum. Matchups for opening night include Highlands-Shaler and Valley-Plum. Saturday's games are Highlands-Plum and Valley-Shaler. The event will feature three Division I recruits -- Highlands' Micah Mason (Drake), Plum's Nolan Cressler (Cornell) and Shaler's Geno Thorpe (Penn State). Mason and Cressler are seniors and have signed with their colleges. Thorpe is a junior."
- This photo was published this weekend by the Associated Press and shows Bobby Davis, the former Syracuse University ball boy, sitting at lower left, watching a game between Syracuse and Cornell, in Syracuse, N.Y. on November 24, 1984. Longtime Syracuse assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine was placed on administrative leave Thursday, November 17, 2011 after old child molesting allegations by Davis resurfaced, just two weeks after a child sex abuse scandal rocked Penn State. Davis, now 39, told ESPN that Fine allegedly molested him beginning in 1984 and that the sexual contact continued until he was around 27.
- Game Recaps-Below are links to our game recap sections from each of Cornell's games this season.
- November 11, 2011 at St. Bonaventure L 58-79
- November 14, 2011 vs. Binghamton W 76-61
- November 16, 2011 at Buffalo L 59-68
- Cornell RPI Watch: The RPI (Rating Percentage Index) is a measure of strength of schedule and how a team does against that schedule. It does not consider the margin of victory, but only whether or not a team won and where the game was played (home/away/neutral court). The formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP). (See: CollegeRPI.com for a further explanation of the formula.) The RPI may be the most influential factor in NCAA Tournament seeding. Cornell's RPI rank as of November 20 is No. 325 out of 344 total Division I teams. While neither the Ken Pomeroy or Jeff Sagarin rankings are used by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, the KenPom.com site ranks Cornell No. 149 in the nation, while the USA Today Sagarin rankings have Cornell at No. 219. Both sites are predominantly used by fans and the media.
- Here is a look at Ivy League results and upcoming games. A full Ivy composite schedule may viewed by clicking here.
Friday, November 11
Johnson & Wales 66 Brown 86 (Box Score - Recap)
Columbia 57 Connecticut 70[ESPNU] (Box Score - Recap)
Cornell 58 St. Bonaventure 79 (Box Score - Recap)
MIT 49 Harvard 76 (Box Score - Recap)
Dartmouth 56 Rutgers 62 (Box Score - Recap)
Penn 59 Maryland-Baltimore County 45 (Box Score - Recap)
Yale 73 Central Connecticut State 69 (Box Score - Recap)
Saturday, November 12
Wagner 73 Princeton 57 (Box Score - Recap)
Monday, November 14
Albany 77 Brown 68 (NIT Tip-Off-1st Round@Syracuse, N.Y.)[ESPN3] (Box Score - Recap)
Temple 73 Penn 67 OT (Box Score - Recap)
Furman 58 Columbia 62 (Box Score - Recap)
Binghamton 61 Cornell 76 (Box Score - Recap)
Tuesday, November 15
Harvard 73 Holy Cross 64 (Box Score - Recap)
Yale 62 Quinnipiac 68 [SNY] (Box Score - Recap)
Brown 52 Manhattan 54 NIT Tip Consolation@Syracuse, N.Y. [ESPN3] (Box Score - Recap)
Wednesday, November 16
Cornell 59 Buffalo 68 (Box Score - Recap)
Vermont 65 Dartmouth 53 (Box Score - Recap)
Princeton 58 North Carolina State 60 [ESPNU] (Box Score - Recap)
Thursday, November 17
Penn 78 Rider 72 OT (Box Score - Recap)
Lyndon State 37 Yale 101 (Box Score - Recap)
Saturday, November 19
Buffalo 53 Princeton 61 (Box Score - Recap)
Hartford 52 Brown 59 (Box Score - Recap)
American 66 Columbia 58 (Box Score - Recap)
Bryant 62 Dartmouth 66 (Box Score - Recap)
Robert Morris 60 Penn 66 (Box Score - Recap)
Harvard 77 Loyola Marymount 67 (Box Score - Recap)
Sunday, November 20
Boston University at Cornell, 2 pm
- Check out The Cornell Basketball Blog's Season Preview Index for a complete listing of 2011-2012 Cornell and Ivy League basketball season previews.
- Cornell will have at least four games televised during the 2011-2012 season including at Stony Brook (Cablevision 118), at Maryland (ESPN3), at Illinois (ESPN3) and at Penn State (Big Ten Network). Time Warner Cable, VerizonFios1, and Comcast Sports are among other networks that may also pick up Cornell games against Ivy League opponents such as Columbia, Princeton and Penn.
- Check out The Cornell Basketball Blog's updated profiles of Cornell's four committed recruits from the classes of 2012 and 2013, Braxston Bunce (Kelowna Secondary School) Kelowna, BC, Canada, 6-11, Holt Harmon (Plano West HS), Plano, TX, 6-9, F; Nolan Cressler (Plum HS) Plum, PA, 6-4, G (class of 2012); and Tim Higgins (Paul VI HS) Fairfax, VA, 6-10, C (class of 2013). In addition, a listing of the Ivy League's committed recruits in the class of 2012 is available by clicking here. Above, new video highlights of Holt Harmon.
- If you have not had the opportunity to check it out yet, take a look at the exclusive Inside Tour of Cornell Basketball. The tour video was produced by the staff of Slope Media with background music performed by Cornell alumnus, Alex Kresovich. The background song, is the main theme song for the 2012 version of the video game, NBA2K. Also a must see-- check out the three-year combined highlight video package produced by Slope Media from the '08-'09, '09-'10 and '10-'11 Big Red seasons.
- Below is an updated directory listing of some Twitter feeds associated with the Cornell basketball program. You can also follow The Cornell Basketball Blog on Twitter.
-Josh Wexler ('88)
-Steve Cobb ('05)
-Ryan Rourke ('06)
-Andrew Naeve ('07)
-Jason Canady ('08)
-Khaliq Gant ('09)
-Conor Mullen ('09)
-Brian Kreefer ('09)
-Ryan Wittman ('10)
-Pete Reynolds ('10)
-Jon Jaques ('10)
-Louis Dale ('10)
-Alex Tyler ('10)
-Geoff Reeves ('10)
-Jeff Foote ('10)
-Andre Wilkins ('10) (inactive)
-Aaron Osgood ('11)
-Adam Wire ('11)
-The Cornell Rebounders Club
-Max Groebe ()
-Andrew Ferry ()
-Peter McMillan ()
-Errick Peck ()
-Josh Figini ()
-Galal Cancer ()
-Ned Tomic ()
-Dominick Scelfo ()
-Jake Mathews ()
-Dwight Tarwater ()
-Manny Sahota ()
-Dave LaMore ()
-Shonn Miller ()
-Devin Cherry ()
-Nolan Cressler (committed recruit)
-Braxston Bunce (committed recruit)
-Holt Harmon (committed recruit)
-Tim Higgins (committed recruit)
-Assistant Coach Mike Blaine ()
-Assistant Coach Marlon Sears ()
-Assistant Coach Arlen Galloway ()
-Brian Delaney, WPIE/ESPN Radio Ithaca ()
-Ed Boulat, Ithaca Journal
-Cornell Daily Sun Sports ()
-Slope Sports ()
-WVBR Sports ()
-Former assistant coach, Jay Larranaga ()
-Former head coach, Steve Donahue ()
-Former assistant coach, Nat Graham ()
-Former assistant coach, Woody Kampmann ()
-Former Assistant Coach Ricky Yahn ()
-Former Intern Assistant Ryan Woerner ()
- Throughout the year we provide periodic updates on Cornell's alumni playing professionally. Below, some updates:
-Jeff Aubry ('99) (Halcones Rojos, LNBP Mexico premier league/Arecibo Capitanes, BSN Puerto Rico premier league)-As of November 20, Aubry is averaging 5.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. Halcones is 17-4 (3rd place out of 14 teams in the Mexican LNBP). Aubry, a 6'11" center, splits his time in both the Mexican and Puerto Rican professional leagues. He is also a member of Puerto Rico's national team joining several NBA stars. A well traveled pro player, Aubry spent several seasons in the NBA D League in the early part of his career with the Fayetteville Patriots and Florida Flame and earned honorable mention all D-League in 2002. During his more than a decade of pro experience, Aubry has also played professionally in the ABA (Miami Tropics) and abroad in Puerto Rico (Arecibo, Leones de Ponce, and Santurce, BSN Puerto Rico), Spain (Tarragona, LEB Gold Spain 2nd Division), Mexico (Halcones Rojos and Chihuahua Dorados, LNBP Mexico premier league), Poland (Slask Wroclaw, PLK Poland premier league), Argentina (Libertad Sunchales, Liga A Argentina), Uruguay (Hebraica, LUB Uruguay )and Peru (Alas Peruanas, Peru).-Cody Toppert ('05) (Ourense, LEB Silver Spain 3rd Division)-As of November 20, Toppert is averaging 7.0 points and 1.7 rebounds per game. Ourense is 5-1 (2nd place out of 13 teams in the Spanish LEB Silver). Ourense defeated Port Juventud on November 18, 62-52 with Toppert chipping in 3 points. During his pro career, Toppert, a 6'4" wing forward, has also played in England (Plymouth Raiders, British Basketball League), Italy (Forli, LegaDue Italy 2nd division), the CBA (Great Falls Explorers), as well as in Portugal (Barriernese, LCB Portugal premier league), Germany (Goettingen, BBK Bundesliga Germany premier league) and New Zealand (Taranaki Mountain Airs, NBL New Zealand premier league).-Jason Hartford ('08) (Unsigned free agent)-As of November 20, Hartford is unsigned for the 2011-2012 season. He was cut during the week of October 17 by Cader Rocha, LUB Uruguay premier league and is now a free agent. He was averaging 12.8 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, second on the team in both categories. The 6'9" Hartford previously played professionally in Portugal (Ginasio, LCB Portugal premier league), Finland (Huima, Korisliiga Finland premier league) and Mozambique (Maxaquene, D1 Mozambique premier league).-Louis Dale ('10) (Goettingen, BBK Bundesliga Germany premier league)-As of November 20, Dale is averaging 12.8 points, 2.3 assists, and 2.0 rebounds per game. Goettingen is 1-8 on the season (18th place out of 18 teams in the German BBK). On November 19, Dale finished with 5 points as Goettingen fell 65-49 to Artland. Dale is in his second professional season, both seasons in Germany with Goettingen.-Ryan Wittman ('10) (Unsigned free agent)-As of November 20, Wittman is unsigned for the 2011-2012 season after he terminated his contract on September 26 with Zastal of the PLK Poland premier league. He played the 2010-2011 season in Italy (Forli, LegaDue Italy 2nd division) and in the United States (Fort Wayne Mad Ants, NBA D-League).-Jeff Foote ('10) (Unsigned free agent)-As of November 20, Foote is unsigned for the 2011-2012 season after he terminated his contract on September 26 with Zastal of the PLK Poland premier league. He played the 2010-2011 season in Spain (Melilla, LEB Gold Spain 2nd division) while on loan from Euro League powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv of Israel.-Adam Wire ('11) (Vaerlose, Denmark BBK premier league)-As of November 20, Wire is averaging 12.2 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. Vaerlose is 4-7 (6th place out of 10 teams in the Danish BBK). On November 4, 2011 he was named the Eurobasket Player of the Week for Denmark. The 2011-2012 season is his rookie year.
-Aaron Osgood ('11) (Vaerlose, Denmark BBK premier league)-As of November 20, Osgood is averaging 10.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Vaerlose is 4-7 (6th place out of 10 teams in the Danish BBK). The 2011-2012 season is his rookie year.
Visit The Cornell Basketball Blog's Community Forum and Message Board to interact with other fans of Cornell and Ivy League basketball. Membership is free! You may also follow us on Twitter.
Fans of the basketball program in the Ithaca area should not miss the opportunity to join the Cornell Rebounders Club.
Fans of the basketball program in the Ithaca area should not miss the opportunity to join the Cornell Rebounders Club.