Galal Cancer doing what he does best, splitting the defense. Below, some news and notes for Thursday...
- Cornell has a huge recruiting event this weekend with some high profile recruits on campus for Homecoming. The weekend will feature on Friday a laser and fireworks show, on Saturday a nationally televised football game vs. Yale followed by a concert featuring AVICII.
- Cornell now has confirmed televised games at Duke (ESPNU), Arizona State (Pac 12 Sports Network) and at Binghamton (Time Warner Cable Sports). Other potential Cornell televised games include Cornell's trip to Wisconsin, which is expected to be picked up by the Big Ten Network, and some Ivy League conference games on the NBC Sports Network.
- The Boston Celtics formally announced the hiring of former Cornell assistant coach, Jay Larranaga.
- Bucknell released its schedule and notes in the release, ""he first of three Ivy League road games comes on Dec. 1, when the Bison travel to New York City to take on Columbia. Bucknell will also visit Princeton on Dec. 22 and Cornell on Jan. 2.After an early loss to Bucknell at the Legends Classic, Princeton went on to finish 20-12 and 10-4 in the Ivy League, and they won a first-round game in the CBI Tournament. Bucknell's annual game with Cornell means a third straight year going up against Big Red head coach Bill Courtney, a former Bison hoops star. Courtney, a 1992 graduate, is a member of the Bucknell Athletics Hall of Fame."
- In exhibition play in Greece, Louis Dale (Cornell '10) had 13 points for KAOD in a win over Icarus. It was Dale's first game back since his ACL tear last November in Germany. KAOD is in Greece's premier league, the A1. KAOD is ranked #57 in Europe.
- Jeff Foote (Cornell '10) is now playing for Zalgiris of Lithuania in the country's premier league, the LKL. The LKL regular season starts September 26 for Zalgiris which is the #4 ranked team in all of Europe and a member of the international competition, the EuroLeague. See the preview of Zalgiris in the EuroLeague on the league's official website. Also this week, Foote was added to his team's official roster on its website. On September 22, Zalgiris will compete in Munich, Germany in the BEKO Cup. Last year Foote was named 2nd Team All NBA D-League with the Springfield Armor and played 10 days in the NBA for the New Orleans Hornets.
- Jeff Aubry (Cornell '99) is averaging 7.6 points and 5.4 rebounds through 5 games in Mexico's premier league, the LNBP for the Halcones Rojos. Aubry's more than a decade of professional basketball experience includes several seasons in the NBA D-League where he was a former All League selection.
- The Albany Times Union makes a reference to Galal Cancer.
- Former Cornell assistant coach and current Army head coach, Zach Spiker is now on Twitter.