The Cornell Basketball Blog's Game Preview Center. Below, news and notes for Saturday...
- Cornell's game against Longwood in Las Vegas tips off at 5:30 pm EST (2:30 local PST).
- In alumni news, Jeff Foote (Cornell '10) had 8 points on 4/4 shooting from the floor with 3 rebounds as his Zalgiris club of Lithuania picked up another huge win in the EuroLeague, defeating Caja Laboral of Spain on Friday, 82-45. Also in alumni news, Louis Dale (Cornell '10) and his KAOD team are in Greek A1 action today against Peristeri. In Mexico, Jeff Aubry (Cornell '99) had 6 points and 6 rebounds on Friday as his Halcones team fell 84-75 to Regia.
- Madison.com writes of Wisconsin player, Zach Bohannon:
When Zach Bohannon took to Twitter last month and relentlessly tried to convince President Barack Obama to join the University of Wisconsin men's basketball team for a pickup game, those who know the junior forward best didn't blink an eye.
It was just Zach being Zach.
Long odds don't seem to matter to Bohannon when he finds something big he wants to pursue.
Like the time in 2010 when, as an undergraduate at Air Force, Bohannon applied to be the head men's basketball coach at Cornell. Bohannon's resume and cover letter reached the desk of Cornell athletic director Andy Noel, who was kind enough to send an email to let the young player down easy.
"He said, 'Sorry, your youth and inexperience just can't be overlooked,' " Bohannon said. "He's like, 'We'll see where you're at in life when you graduate and see what you can do.' "
That didn't stop Bohannon, who applied for the same position at Air Force when the job at his old school opened up last February. He didn't hear back that time.
"I don't think anyone who knows me is going to be surprised to hear any of this," Bohannon said. "I think they all know how crazy I am. I'm told all the time how I'm a different breed, how I'm weird."
- Below, links to our recap sections from each of Cornell's games during the 2012-2013 season.
- Cornell RPI Watch: The RPI (Rating Percentage Index) is a measure of strength of schedule and how a team does against that schedule. It does not consider the margin of victory, but only whether or not a team won and where the game was played (home/away/neutral court). The formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP). (See: CollegeRPI.com for a further explanation of the formula.) The RPI may be the most influential factor in NCAA Tournament seeding. Cornell's RPI rank as of November 24 is No. 162 out of 344 total Division I teams. While neither the Ken Pomeroy or the Sagarin Rankings (USA Today) are used by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, the KenPom.com site ranks Cornell No. 197 in the nation, while the Sagarin Rankings (USA Today) have Cornell at No. 192. Both sites are predominantly used by fans and the media.
- Here is a look at Ivy League results and upcoming games. A full Ivy composite schedule may viewed by clicking here.
Friday, November 9
MIT 54 Harvard 69 Box Score - Recap
UMBC 75 Penn 80 Box Score - Recap
Saturday, November 10
Western Michigan 55 Cornell 63 Box Score - Recap
Princeton 57 Buffalo 53 Box Score - Recap
Yale 82 Sacred Heart 85 (OT) [SNY] [Conn 6] Box Score - Recap
Columbia 68 Furman 47 Box Score - Recap
Maine 54 Dartmouth 67 Box Score - Recap
Sunday, November 11
Brown 58 Binghamton 49 Box Score - Recap
Monday, November 12
Yale 35 Saint Joseph’s 61 (Coaches v. Cancer) Box Score - Recap
Penn 69 Delaware 84 (Preseason NIT) Box Score - Recap
Tuesday, November 13
Harvard 64 Massachusetts 67 (ESPN Tip Off Marathon) [ESPN] Box Score - Recap
Penn 53 Fairfield 62 (Preseason NIT) [ESPN3] Box Score - Recap
Northeastern 67 Princeton 66 Box Score - Recap
New Hampshire 72 Dartmouth 58 Box Score - Recap
Haverford 40 Columbia 74 Box Score - Recap
Wednesday, November 14
St. Bonaventure at Cornell [NBCSN] Box Score - Recap
Thursday, November 15
Brown 71 Central Connecticut State 86 Box Score - Recap
Friday, November 16
Saint Peter’s 68 Cornell 64 Box Score - Recap
Rutgers 58 Princeton 52 Box Score - Recap
Manhattan 45 Harvard 79 Box Score
Yale 56 Evansville 66 (Coaches v. Cancer) Box Score - Recap
Saturday, November 17
Drexel 61 Penn 59 Box Score - Recap
Yale 63 Buffalo 59 (Evansville, Ind.) (Coaches v. Cancer) Box Score
Brown 70 Maine 68 Box Score - Recap
Marist 67 Columbia 62 Box Score - Recap
Sunday. November 18
Yale 47 Western Illinois 59 (Oakland City, Ind.) Box Score - Recap
Cornell 40 Wisconsin 73 (Las Vegas Invitational) [ESPN3] Box Score - Recap
Monday, November 19
Penn 68 Fordham 70 (Preseason NIT, Bethlehem PA) Box Score - Recap
Tuesday, November 20
Columbia 75 Villanova 57 [ESPN3] Box Score - Recap
Harvard 56 Saint Joseph’s 75 [NBCSN] Box Score - Recap
Penn 66 Lehigh 73 (Preseason NIT) Box Score - Recap
Cornell 53 Arizona State 64 (Las Vegas Invitational) [PAC-12 Sports Network] Box Score - Recap
Wednesday, November 21
Bryant 68 Brown 61 Box Score - Recap
Princeton 53 Syracuse 73 [TIME WARNER] Box Score - Recap
Yale 52 Vermont 65 Box Score - Recap
Friday, November 23
Cornell 89 Presbyterian 55 (Las Vegas Invitational at Las Vegas) Box Score - Recap
Columbia 75 Wayland Baptist 63 (SF Hilltop Classic) Box Score - Recap
Saturday, November 24
Saint Francis (N.Y.) at Brown, 2 pm
IPFW at Dartmouth, 2 pm
Princeton at Lafayette, 2 pm
Army at Yale, 2 pm
Cornell vs. Longwood/Florida A&M, 3/5:30 pm (Las Vegas Invitational at Las Vegas)
Columbia at San Francisco, 10 pm (SF Hilltop Classic)