Video | Live stats | Box Score
Teams: American (5-9) vs. Cornell (6-9)
Date and Location: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 2 p.m. – Bender Arena, Washington, D.C.
Series: Second meeting; American leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: W, 64-62 – Ithaca, N.Y. (November 27, 2011)
Web: Eagle Vision TV - Dan Laing (Play-By-Play), Jeremy Huber (Analyst)
After ending 2012 on the road against two to the nation's two top programs, the Eagles returned to Bender Arena this past Thursday and opened the New Year with a victory. On Sunday afternoon, American will look to keep its new-found momentum going when they take on Cornell at 2 p.m.
Cornell and American met for the first time last season in Ithaca, N.Y., with the Eagles taking a 65-63 win over the Big Red.
The Eagles hit the all-important 60-point mark, improving to 4-1 in games they reach the plateau as well as 3-2 in home games and 2-0 in Thursday contests.
Senior guard Blake Jolivette, who was playing in just his fourth game of the season, joined the starting lineup against UMES and scored a game-high 16 points on 7-of-14 shooting, in a career-high 38 minutes played.
Four Eagles scored in double-digits in the game as Jolivette was joined by Stephen Lumpkins, Daniel Munoz and John Schoof.
Lumpkins remains the teams leading scorer with 14.7 ppg and totaled his fifth double-double of the season in the win. Lumpkins also became AU's all-time leader in blocks with 128.
Munoz also added five assists in the win over UMES and is now fourth in the Patriot League with 3.4 assists per game. He has also upped his scoring average by over two points this year, ranking 20th in the league.
Schoof has now hit at least one 3-pointer in 11-straight games, registering 28 treys in that time, nine games of two-or-more from deep range and ranks second among Patriot League players in 3-point percentage (.526).
A limited number of premium location sideline reserved chairback tickets still remain for this game, and can be purchased online by clicking here or calling the AU Athletics Ticket Office at (202) 885-TIXX.
Scouting the Opponent
• The Big Red boasts wins over Binghamton, Saint Francis (Pa.), Colgate, Longwood, Presbyterian and Western Michigan, while falling to St. Bonaventure, Saint Peter's, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Stony Brook, Vanderbilt, Duke, BU and Bucknell.
• Cornell has just one player averaging double figures in scoring this season. Sophomore Shonn Miller boasts 10.2 ppg and a team-leading 7.4 rpg. He also leads the team in free throws (40-of-49), blocks (24) and steals (26).
• Sixth-man Errick Peck is second on the team with 8.2 ppg and 4.8 rpg.
• Johnathan Gray (8.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg), Miles Asafo-Adjei (2.3 ppg, 3.1 apg) are two other penciled in starters while Galal Cancer (5.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg), Eitan Chemerinski (7.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg) and Nolan Cressler (7.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg) have all made recent starts.
• Head Coach Bill Courtney is in his third season with the Big Red and has won 28 games thus far for Cornell.
American begins Patriot League action next Saturday, January 12, when the Eagles travel to take on Colgate at 2 p.m.