Monday, November 17, 2014

GAME RECAP: Loyola 76, Cornell 71

Cornell rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit before falling to Loyola, 76-71, in non-conference men’s basketball action Sunday afternoon in Baltimore.
Senior Shonn Miller led the way for Cornell (1-1) with 20 points and nine rebounds. Classmate Galal Cancer added 19 points and sophomore guard Robert Hatter chipped in 17. Devin Cherry chipped in seven points and four of Cornell’s seven assists.
Loyola (1-1) had four players in double-figures, led by Tyler Hubbard, who scored 15.
The Big Red raced out to a 6-0 lead but the Greyhounds battled back to tie the game at 8 less than two minutes later. Cornell retook the lead on a Darryl Smith 3-pointer, but Loyola went on a 12-0 run to grab a 20-11 lead with 9 1/2 minutes left in the half.
Loyola wouldn’t trail again until 5:26 to play, when a David Onuorah free throw made it 63-62 Big Red. fter that, but Cornell did tie the score at 60 with 6:18 to play on a Miller jump shot. Cornell tied the game at 66 with 3:34 to play, but the Greyhounds got a 3-pointer from Eric Laster to take the lead for good.
Cornell was coming off of Friday’s season-opening 68-60 win at George Mason. Miller and Hatter had 21 points apiece for the Red, which won its season-opener for the eighth time in the last 10 seasons.
Coach Bill Courtney’s squad plays its home-opener at 7 p.m. Tuesday against regional rival Colgate.

BALTIMORE, Md. – Cornell rallied from a 14-point deficit to take a second half lead, but Loyola (MD) closed strong for a 76-71 victory on Sunday afternoon at Reitz Arena. The loss dropped the Big Red to 1-1, while the Greyhounds improved to 1-1 with the win.

Senior Shonn Miller had 20 points, nine rebounds, two assists, two blocked shots and two steals, while classmate Galal Cancer had 19 points and sophomore Robert Hatter chipped in with 17. Sophomore David Onuorah had eight rebounds and four of the team's nine blocked shots on the evening, while senior Devin Cherry notched seven points, four rebounds and four assists. Cornell was outrebounded 43-34 and shot just 16 percent from the 3-point line (3-of-19).

The Greyhounds, meanwhile, connected on 8-of-19 from 3-point range (42 percent) to create some separation. Four players scored in double figures, led by 15 points from Tyler Hubbard. Eric Laster scored 13, Franz Rassman chipped in 12 and Andre Walker scored 11 in the win. Cam Gregory had a game-high 10 boards.

Cornell rallied from a 14-point deficit, including an 11-point span at halftime, to tie the game with six minutes to play, then took a lead 30 seconds later, but then missed its next seven shots and eight of its final 10 as Loyola (MD) was able to escape with the win.

After the Big Red held a lead for much of the game's first eight minutes, the Greyhounds put together a 14-1 run to turn a three-point deficit into a 10-point lead in the span of six minutes. The lead grew to as many as 14 points after Chancellor Barnard tipped in a miss with 12 seconds to play. For the second game in a row, the Big Red hit a 3-pointer at the halftime buzzer, this one a deep trey from Hatter, to allow the visitors some momentum heading to the locker room down 38-27.

Hatter ended the half with 11 points, while only Miller (five points) had more than three for the Big Red, who committed nine turnovers and shot just 37 percent from the floor. Hubbard led a balanced Loyola (MD) team with nine points in 10 minutes.

Cornell played its brand of basketball in the second half, but the hole proved to be too much. The Big Red turned the ball over just once, and Cancer (16) and Miller (15) combined for 31 of the team's 44 points and Cornell attempted 20 free throws in the second half alone, repeatedly getting into the lane for baskets or trips to the free-throw line.

The visitors made several runs to get back within five after halftime, but each time the home team extended its lead back until the Big Red's last push. Cornell tied the game at 60-60 with a long jumper, then tied it again a 20 seconds later with a Cancer layup. After Miller stole a pass, David Onuorah was fouled and hit one of two free-throws to take a 63-62 lead.

The Greyhounds recovered to take a brief lead, followed by a number of tie games, the last at 66-66 with just over three minutes to play before six straight points by Loyola (MD) created too much separation for another comeback. Eric Laster hit a 3-pointer, and after Cornell missed a layup and consecutive 3-pointers on the other end, Loyola (MD) hit three of four free throws to build a 72-66 lead with 31 seconds left.

Cornell opens its home schedule with Colgate on Tuesday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. at Newman Arena.

BALTIMORE - During the offseason, Loyola University Maryland Head Coach G.G. Smith was clear that two of the keys for the 2014-2015 men's basketball team would be improved rebounding and 3-point defense.
Loyola (1-1 overall) executed both well on Sunday afternoon as the Greyhounds won their home-opener, 76-71, against Cornell University. The Greyhounds held the Big Red to 3-of-19 (15.8 percent) from behind the 3-point arc, and they finished with a 43-34 advantage in rebounds.
Cornell (1-1) came into the game having won Friday night at George Mason University, 68-60, by shooting 50 percent (9-of-18) from 3-point range and outrebounding the Patriots, 46-38.
"I'm really impressed with our rebounding; that's two games in a row that we have outrebounded our opponents," Smith said. "And, it's two games in a row that we have held our opponents to 35 percent or lower from 3-point range. I like the direction we are going with that."
The Big Red pushed the tempo in the early going, scoring the first six points while forcing two Loyola turnovers in the first 2:42. Tyler Hubbard, however, hit two threes on Loyola's next three possesions, and Franz Rassman had a paint basket on the other, and Loyola tied it at 8-8 less than two minutes later.
Devin Cherry answered Hubbard's second three with one of his own at 14:54, and Cornell led 11-8, but it was the last points the Big Red would score for more than five minutes. The Greyhounds went on a 12-0 run during a span that the Big Red missed all six of its shots and turned it over four times, including on three consecutive trips to its offensive end.
Eric Laster scored five of the points during the stretch, and freshman Colton Bishop tallied his first collegiate points with a banked-in three from the top left side. Rassman then put Loyola up 20-11 with a layup at 9:32, and after Galal Cancer made 1-of-2 at the line for Cornell to momentarily stem the run, Rassman drilled a baseline 17-footer to five Loyola a 10-point lead with just under nine minutes left in the first half.
The Greyhounds stretched their lead to 13, 34-21, when Andre Walker made a top-of-the-perimeter three with 2:32 on the clock, and Chancellor Barnard had an offensive rebound and putback with 12 seconds left to make it 38-24.
Robert Hatter hit a three for Cornell with less than two seconds left in the first half, sending the teams to the locker room with the Big Red down, 38-27. Cornell cut its deficit to five, 38-33, with a Shonn Miller jumper, a Hatter fast-break layup and two Cancer free throws in the second half's first 1:17.
After a Loyola timeout, Cornell blocked a Greyhounds' shot, but Cherry missed a three and Laster hit one for Loyola. The Big Red had three offensive rebounds on their next possession, but it could not convert the chances into points, and Laster made a pull-up 12 footer from the left side at 17:03 to push Loyola back up 10, 43-33.
Just under seven minutes later, a Barnard free throw made it 58-50 Loyola, but Cornell scored the next six, and it was a two-point game after a Wil Bathurst layup at 7:10. Cancer later tied the score at 62-62, and David Onuorah made 1-of-2 at the line with 5:26 showing on the second-half clock to put Cornell ahead, 63-62.
Denzel Brito made a layup for Loyola to push the Greyhounds back in front on the next possession, and score was either plus-two for Loyola or tied until Laster made a three from the top right with 3:20 left in regulation.
It would be the Greyhounds' last field goal of the game, but they went 7-of-10 from the free-throw line down the stretch to secure the victory.
Hubbard finished with a team-high 15 points, leading four Loyola players in double figures. Laster tallied 13, Rassman had 12 and Walker finished with 11.
Cam Gregory, a freshman playing in his second collegiate game, led all players with 10 rebounds, and Barnard, another freshman, had six points and six rebounds.
"I thought Andre Walker, Chancellor Barnard and Cam Gregory gave us a great defensive effort today for freshmen being that it's the second game of their college career," Smith said. "They come in and really give us a lot of energy.
Milled paced Cornell with 20 points, but he did so on 5-of-15 shooting, and Cancer added 19.
The Greyhounds continue play in Reitz Arena Wednesday, Nov. 19, at 8 p.m. when they host crosstown rival UMBC. The game will air live on MASN, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

After dropping their season opener on the road against Texas Tech the Loyola Greyhounds got a much better idea of how they’ll compete against teams closer to their level on Sunday night and it turns out they looked pretty good. The Greyhounds evened their record at 1-1 with a 76-71 victory over the Cornell Big Red in Reitz Arena, and won their sixth-straight home opener.
Four Greyhounds scored in double figures and both juniors Tyler Hubbard, who led the team with 15 points, and Eric Laster, who was second on the team with 13 points, nailed three 3-pointers while the Greyhounds also won the battle on the boards, 43-34. “It was a real team effort today,” Loyola Head Coach G.G. Smith said.
Because of that victory on the glass Loyola dominated Cornell in second-chance points, 28-7.
Loyola did not score their first points until three and a half minutes had already past and they were trailing 6-0 but Hubbard hit his first 3-pointers and it sparked a quick 8-2 run to tie things up.
Cornell re-took the lead when Darryl Smith nailed a three-pointers but the Greyhounds rattled off 12-straight points to take a nine point lead and eventually extended it to a double-digit lead 11 minutes into the game.
The Big Red did not let the Greyhound run away with the victory and kept within striking distance but Loyola did take a 38-27 lead into the break. The big difference was their three-point shooting. Loyola made six three’s in the first half while Cornell only hit two.
Out of the break, Cornell scored six-straight points in less than two minutes to make it only a five-point game, forcing Smith to call a time out.
Thirty seconds after the timeout Laster hit a 3-pointer to keep and arms-distance between the two teams. The two teams exchanged shots and scores but with 10 minutes remaining in the game Cornell went on a mini six-point run to make it just a one possession game.
Successful free throws by Cam Gregory put it back at a four-point game but Cornell kept chipping away, tying the game with 6:18 remaining and then matching Franz Rassman’s free throws with a layup by Galal Cancer to even it at 62-each with 5:56 remaining. Cornell took the lead on the next possession. Gregory had the ball stolen by Shonn Miller and while he missed his ensuing three-point attempt David Onuorah grabbed the board and drew the foul. He hit the first shot to take break the tie and to give Cornell their first lead of the game since the 12:34 mark in the first half.
After a few exchanged shots and another 3-pointer by Laster, Loyola re-took a final lead that they did not give up.
One thing that Loyola should be happy to not is that four freshman saw substantial action and combined to score 25 points. Andre Walker led the team with 11 points and was perfect from the foul line, going 4-for-4. He added three assists and six rebounds. Gregory made some key free throws and led the team with 10 rebounds.
“I thought all our guys played real well and I was happy to see our freshmen out there,” Smith said. “We’re a young team and they’ll see action as the season goes on.
Loyola’s defense was key in the Saturday afternoon victory. The Hounds had six steals, 10 blocks and forced 10 turnovers. At times, Cornell seemed stifled. In one stretch in the first half the Big Red missed six-straight shots and were scoreless for six minutes. Again in the second half, after Cornell had gone on a run, Loyola stood strong and held the opposition to only four points in the last six minutes of play.
“I thought our defense played very well, but there are definitely things we need to work on,” Smith said. “We held strong later on in the game but I hope in the future we don’t even need to be put in that position.”
Loyola will host local-rival UMBC on Wednesday night.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Courtney's teams always seem to run hot and cold. Friday was hot. Sunday was cold. Gotta find more consistency. Loyola was a winnable game. The 12-0 run was a killer, as 12-0 runs normally are.