Saturday, January 31, 2015

GAME RECAP: Cornell 57, Brown 49

See additional video highlights from CBS WBNG News and Time Warner Cable Sports.

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Up six points with under 20 seconds to play, Big Red sophomore David Onuorah blocked Tavon Blackman's drive into the lane. It was that kind of night for Cornell's defense in a 57-49 win over Brown on Friday night at Newman Arena.

Onuorah's career-best seventh block was the 11th of the night for the home team. Both marks rank third in a single game in school history. Even more than that, the intimidation factor played a huge role in limiting the Bears to 30 percent shooting in capturing its second Ivy win of the season, surpassing last season's total. The Big Red improved to 10-9 (2-1 Ivy) with the victory, its fourth in the team's last five games. The Bears slipped to 9-11 (0-3 Ivy) with the loss.

The 6-9 center added eight rebounds and two steals, but it was senior Galal Cancer's key late plays that pushed the home team over the top. Cancer ended the night with 11 points, six rebounds, four assists and two steals without a turnover, while backcourt mate Devin Cherry had 11 points, five rebounds and three assists with only one miscue. Overall, Cornell turned the ball over just five times in the victory.

Cornell held the Bears scoreless for the final 3:30 after Brown's Cedric Kuakumensah hit a free throw to give the visitors a 49-47 lead. They wouldn't score again.

Cancer hit two free throws to tie it at 49-49, then rebounded his own miss after a block by Onuorah on the other end and hit two shots from the charity stripe to go up two points with 78 seconds left. Brown turned the ball over as Cancer tipped away a pass into the backcourt, then retrieved it for a layup to extend Cornell's lead to 53-49 with under a minute to play. That was essentially the game, as the defense forced Brown into four misses the rest of the way, including Onuorah's final block.

Robert Hatter and Shonn Miller each had eight points as part of a balanced Big Red attack on offense, with Darryl Smith and Dave LaMore adding six apiece and Jordan Abdur-Ra'oof scoring five points. The Big Red hit just 1-of-14 3-point field goals in the win, but limited the Bears to 4-of-20 shooting of their own.

Brown got 14 points by Blackman and eight points and five boards from Steven Spieth. Rafael Maia notched a game-high nine rebounds to go along with six points. At the end of the night, Brown held a 40-36 edge on the backboards.

The Bears led by as many as seven points midway through the first half, hitting four of its first five shots and going up 13-6 on a Tyler Williams 3-pointer nearly eight minutes in. Cornell stuck around despite losing Shonn Miller to his second foul with 10:13 left, getting three consecutive baskets from Darryl Smith to get back within 21-18. Two straight baskets by Dave LaMore to end the half made it a 27-24 game at the half with Brown ahead on the scoreboard.

A 6-0 Big Red run early in the second half changed the momentum, though the game would swing back-and-forth the rest of the way. Onuorah rebounded a miss and put it back in for his only points of the game, followed by a Miller pull-up jumper from 16 feet to tie the game. Cornell took the lead moments later after Cancer rebounded an Onourah blocked shot and went coast-to-coast for a layup to five the Big Red the lead at 30-28 two minutes into the second half.

There were four ties and five lead changes the rest of the way with each team putting together short bursts. Brown's five-point lead with 13 minutes remaining was the only time either team would have more than a one-possession lead until Cancer's steal and layup put the Big Red up four with 54 seconds left. That deficit seemed almost insurmountable, and ultimately it was.

The Big Red will attempt to take a share of first place in the Ancient Eight when Yale visits Newman Arena on Saturday, Jan. 31 at 6 p.m.

The Brown Bears men's basketball team (9-11, 0-3 IVY) fell 57-49 to the (10-9, 2-1 IVY) Cornell Big Red on Friday night in upstate New York. The Brown Bears remain winless in conference play.
Brown led a 49-47 with with 3:31 left after a free throw from Kuakumensah but then did not score the rest of the game. Cornell went on a 10-0 run over the final few minutes to win the game 57-49. Brown did not have one field goal over the last seven minutes of the game.
Tavon Blackmon led Brown with 14 points on four of 14 shooting from the field. Blackmon also grabbed two rebounds and dished out three assists. Steven Spieth followed up with eight points in the game.
Cornell was led by Devin Cherry and Galai Cancer  who each netted 11 points in the win.
Brown returns to action on Saturday, January 31 when they visit Columbia. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

The Cornell men’s basketball team limited Brown to 30 percent shooting and got a career-high seven blocked shots from 6-9 sophomore David Onuorah in a 57-49 Ivy League victory over Brown on Friday night before a crowd of 2,712 at Newman Arena.
Seniors Devin Cherry and Galal Cancer scored 11 points apiece to lead the Big Red (10-9 overall, 2-1 Ivy League), which scored the game’s final 10 points and held the Bears (9-11, 0-3) scoreless over the final 31/2 minutes.
Cancer keyed the Red’s late surge, hitting two free throws to tie it at 49-49, then rebounding his own miss after a block by Onuorah on the other end. Cancer hit two shots from the line to go up two points with 78 seconds left.
Brown turned the ball over as Cancer tipped away a pass into the backcourt and retrieved it for a layup to extend Cornell’s lead to 53-49 with under a minute to play. The defense forced Brown into four misses the rest of the way, including an Onuorah block of Brown guard Tavon Blackman as he drove the lane with 20 seconds to play, sealing the win.
Blackman finished the game with 14 points to lead the Bears, who played their second game without scoring leader Leland King, who the university announced on Thursday has left the team for personal reasons.
The largest lead for either team was the final margin; Brown twice led by seven points in the first half, the second time at 19-12 on a pair of Jason Massey free throws with 7:45 left.
Ivy League scoring and rebounding leader Shonn Miller finished with eight points and three boards, playing just 24 minutes as he got in early foul trouble. He picked up his second foul with 10:26 left in the first half and played just eight minutes before intermission.
The Big Red takes on Yale (14-6, 3-0) at 6 p.m. Saturday at Newman Arena. The Bulldogs defeated Columbia on Friday, 63-59.

Ithaca, N.Y. - Senior guard Galal Cancer sparked a late Cornell comeback with six of his team high 11 points in the final 2:29 to lift the Big Red to a 57-49 Ivy League win over Brown at Newman Arena. The Bears fall to 9-11 overall and 0-3 in the Ivy League, while Cornell improves to 10-9, 2-1 in Ivy play.
Cancer hit two free throws with 2:29 left on the clock to tie the game, 49-49. Two more Cancer free throws gave Cornell the lead for good, 51-49, and his fast break lay-up lifted the Big Red to a 53-49 advantage with 1:17 remaining.
Cornell iced the game with four more free throws down the stretch.
The Bears were paced by sophomore guard Tavon Blackmon, who scored a team high 14 points while handling the ball for all 40 minutes. Sophomore guard Steven Spieth had all of his eight points in the first half.
Senior Rafael Maia pulled down a game high nine rebounds for the Bears.
Cancer finished with 11 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Big Red. Senior guard Devon Cherry also chipped in with 11 points.
In a defensive battle, Cornell shot 37-percent from the field, connecting on 21-of-56 field goals, while Brown shot just 30-percent on 15-of-50 shooting. Brown hit 4-of-20 treys, while Cornell converted just 1-of-14 shots from beyond the three-point arc.
Brown never trailed in the opening 20 minutes with the Bears leading by as many as seven points, 13-6, at the 12:41 mark on a trey by freshman Tyler Williams. The game settled down to a defensive battle, and the Bears held a three-point lead at intermission, 27-24.
The Bears held a 39-34 lead after two Dockery Walker free throws with 12:53 left in the game. Using its fast-break offense, Cornell answered with an 8-0 run to pull ahead by a 42-39 margin.
With the score tied, 46-46, Blackmon connected on two free throws to give Brown a 48-46 lead with 4:58 remaining.
The Bears head down to New York City tomorrow, January 31, to battle Columbia. Tip-off is 7pm

1 comment:

marktwain said...

red is scrappy and stifling on d. rarely pretty like dream team. but over-achieving on pure hustle